Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Witty Wednesdays [2]

Once again, all quotes are taken from "America's God and Country". Although not all of the quotes are specifically Christian, I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in our nation's religious history.



















George Washington




















--- In reference to the French and Indian War, Washington wrote, "But by the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability or expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, although death was leveling my companions on every side of me!"

---"I am sure that never was a people, who had more reason to acknowledge a Divine interposition in their affairs than those of the United States; and I should be pained to believe that they have forgotten that agency, which was so often manifested during our Revolution, or that they failed to consider the omnipotence of that God who is alone able to protect them."

---"May the same wonder-working Deity, who long since delivering the Hebrews from their Egyptian Oppressors planted them in the promised land - whose providential agency has lately been conspicuous in establishing these United States as an independent Nation - still continue to water them with the dews of Heaven and to make the inhabitants of every denomination participate in the temporal and spiritual blessings of that people whose God is Jehovah."

---George Washington's Monday morning prayer, "O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before Thy Divine Majesty, beseeching Thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks....Direct my thoughts, words and work, wash away my sins in the immaculate Blood of the Lamb, and purge my heart by Thy Holy Spirit....Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of Thy Son, Jesus Christ, that living in Thy fear, and dying in Thy favor, I may in Thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life. Bless my family, friends and kindred, and unite us all in praising and glorifying Thee in all our works."

---"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible."








Please leave your favorite founding fathers sayings in the comments section below. If you live in a different country, please submit quotes from your favorite man in history, national leader, or missionary. Once I get enough quotes from my readers, I will have a Wednesday especially dedicated to submitted quotes! If you would like your name under the quote ("submitted by ________"), then please sign your submissions. I can't wait to hear from y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment