Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Law

Here is a post I recently did in my online Bible course, Koinonia Institute. I have been extremely convicted about the method I use to witness to people by a book I just started reading entitled "The School of Biblical Evangelism" by Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron. I wish I could expound on this more now, but I am limited at this time. I may, however, get into more detail on this topic in subsequent posts. Without further ado:


The Law

This is something the Lord has heavily laid on my heart recently. I have been reading a book entitled, "The School of Biblical Evangelism", which teaches believers how to share the gospel effectively. The Law is our tool to lead people to repentance. Romans 7:7-13 says,
"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.  And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death.  For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me.  Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful."

The Law serves an essential role in sharing the gospel with people. Without the bad news, sinners will not be able to understand or appreciate the good news. Without knowing that they have broken God's law and are destined for hell, they will not realize their need for deliverance. Therefore, in sharing the gospel, we must first share the need, and then the provision. In witnessing we must start from the beginning, as Christ did in Luke 24:27, "And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself." 

For example, ask the average person if they are a "good person", and their response will be "yes". If they are truly good, why would they need a Savior? But if you show them that they are actually despicably wicked and hopeless because they have broken God's Law, then they will grasp their need for deliverance from judgment. I am so thankful that the Lord has been instructing me in this, because I never realized the powerful tool I had in the Law before!




In addition, here is a video of Ray Comfort talking about the importance of the Law and then applying this in witnessing to the audience. I am having trouble embedding the video, so please click HERE to view.

1 comment:

  1. I love the School of Biblical Evangelism- although the program is expensive it's definitely worth the money! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete