Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Various Ramblings

I have been busy of late: gardening, cooking, crafting, cleaning, and various tasks accompanying the lot of a young lady and daughter. The chickens have begun laying eggs, the garden is growing (pictures to come soon), and God is as good as ever.
     In my free time, I have been reading in three books - Middlemarch by George Eliot, In My Father's House by various authors, and The Slaves' Champion by Henry Wheeler - besides listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin when I have work inside to do.

Recently, I decorated a straw hat with homemade cloth flowers. I took some pictures:




















Also, as I was reading last night (perhaps very late last night, but time passes so quickly when reading) in The Slaves' Champion - a book about William Wilberforce written on the centenary of his birth - and this passage struck me:

    "' Keepsake, sir? ' said one in reply to a question, ' yes, I have one: my father's name, his deeds, and his love for God and man, which I will keep and, on my dying bed, hand with my last blessing to my children, uneclipsed by any black spot in my own life: I will hand it to them framed with my own deeds and piety, which shall be no disfigurement to the blessed souvenir. ' How beautiful is this greatness, and how exalted the nobility which is seen in the truly chivalrous father! "

This is such a wonderful summation of what Mr. Doug Phillips emphasizes so often: namely, the importance of patriarchal vision and blessings.

I am currently reading through the Bible, and am in the book of Ezra, where I found this passage intriguing:

"For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the Law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach statutes and ordinances in Israel."        -Ezra 7:10

I would love to know your thoughts on these things, as usual!

1 comment:

  1. Just love this hat!!! The flowers you made for it are gorgeous, and I love the way you pinned up the one side. So colonial! :) And that passage from your book was so moving. It is something all fathers should consider deeply. Thank you for sharing!

    Elizabeth :)

    ReplyDelete